A number of Bank Toppers have been part of Adrian Yapp’s Eden Singers and we had many of our early rehearsals at Lee Clough Mission. When the Mission closed at the end of 2012 we promised that their banner would have a new home…
The Banner – Lee Clough Mission 1895 – 2012
Lee Clough Mission was founded in 1895 by a group of worshipers known as “The Adult Bible Class” in a building on Penney Brow near a house known as the “The Lees” off Blackburn Road opposite St Paul’s Church, Astley Bridge, Bolton. The two roomed building is a valley known as a clough, was rented from T.M.Hesketh & Co Ltd., Cotton Spinners, and was subsequently named Lee Clough Mission.
In 1965, when Asda bought the surrounding land, the property was sold and demolished. A new building was built on Old Road, Astley Bridge, Bolton. It was dedicated to God’s service and officially opened by the Reverend John Davis of the Methodist Church, Astley Bridge on Saturday 12th November 1966.
The church banner was created in the 1940’s and progressed at the head od the procession walks of dedication annually on Sermons Sundays around Astley Bridge. It was carried by a succession of young men and balanced by four cords held by proud members of the congregation. The processions, often of over a hundred people, were usually led by a local band, the Boys’ Brigade or the Salvation Army. Following the banner were “The Little Singers” in their white dresses and veils and then the remaining members. When not in use the banner was on permanent display in the church, in the children’s corner, on view to the whole congregation.
Sadly, due to a declining congregation, Lee Clough Mission had to close at the end of 2012. The Trustees are very grateful to Bank Top Church for displaying and caring for this wonderful historical memory of Lee Clough Mission.